Is working with a freelance e-commerce consultant really worth it? I’ve heard this question many times before I start working with a new client.
What value can an e-commerce consultant bring to your business? Well, allow me to explain.
Why should you hire one
When you are an entrepreneur creating your products and building your business you obviously can’t know everything. You should always focus on the things that you are best at. Since e-commerce is becoming so important to sell your products to a bigger target audience than ever before, this is definitely expertise that can make your business grow significantly. A freelance e-commerce consultant can bring you this expertise and can quickly learn you the specific strategies, tactics and skills that you need to know to sell your products over the internet. This saves you a lot of time and money compared to figuring this all out yourself.
What does an e-commerce consultant do
An e-commerce consultant can help you with a wide variety of e-commerce related services going from store setup to the setup of high converting advertising campaigns. Here’s a non-exhaustive list of services:
- Store setup (e.g. Shopify)
- Adding products
- Optimizing product pages
- Competitor research
- Online marketing strategy
- Basic technical SEO setup
- Conversion-oriented SEO strategy
- E-commerce conversion optimization
- Google Ads campaigns
- Facebook and Instagram advertising campaigns
- Remarketing campaigns
- E-mail automation flows
This is basically the toolkit of an e-commerce consultant. But a good consultant should always start by learning about your business and ideally he should have some affinity with the products you are selling. Based on the things he learns during this intake conversation he can come up with a fitting plan for your webshop so you can start seeing an increased ROI (Return On Investment) ASAP.
The ROI of a freelance e-commerce consultant
When you are running an e-commerce business you basically have two options to make sure your marketing is on point and generating sales.
- You have the time and basic knowledge to learn about e-commerce marketing yourself and implement it.
- You can hire someone who already knows e-commerce marketing so you can focus on what you are best at.
Let’s briefly get into both options.
Learning e-commerce marketing yourself
If you have time on your hands and are eager to learn all the skills it takes to master e-commerce marketing, by all means go for it. These will be very valuable skills to have .
Hiring an e-commerce consultant
If you have no time to spare and/or really want to focus what you are best at, great! When I just started out as a marketing consultant I also tried to do everything myself. It took me a couple of years to learn this myself. But after some time you really learn to appreciate the value of bringing in talented experts for the things that are not your core business.
When you an expert, being it for e-commerce or another skill, they’re usually providing an instant return on invest for a couple of reasons.
- They have a broad view on all the different possibilities in marketing. This guarantees they’ll select the best tactics with the highest ROI specifically for your business.
- They probably failed… a lot! And this is good. Every time you fail, you learn something. It’s part of the game and it’s a necessary cost for gaining experience. This also means that they won’t make these makes on your project. Meaning a higher ROI, faster.
Great that you made it to the end of this post! Is there anything you have to add to this post or are there points where you disagree? Please let me know via the comments below. I look forward to chatting with you!